I first found the idea of Greek yogurt pancakes here:
http://lecremedelacrumb.com/2014/12/greek-yogurt-pancakes.html but since then I’ve tweaked the recipe to achieve a healthier version which fluffs up really well during cooking.
Serves 2 (or 1 if feeling greedy!)
60g wholemeal self raising flour
3/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
Pinch of salt
2 tsp rapeseed (canola) oil
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 drops almond extract (optional but adds a lovely flavour)
100g Greek yogurt
1/4 tsp vinegar (you can’t taste it but it helps the bicarb bubble)
2-3 tbs milk (I used skimmed)
1. Whisk together the dry ingredients.
2. Whisk together the wet ingredients, leaving out the milk.
3. Add a third of the wet ingredients and whisk into the dry. Continue in this way until the wet ingredients are mixed in.
4. Add 2-3 tbs milk to loosen the mixture until it will slowly drop from a spoon.
5. Heat a frying pan with a little spray oil (I used coconut oil and the Tefal pan so I can see when it is fully heated). Drop large spoons of the mixture into the pan and press down slightly. I used an ice cream scoop.
6. Once the edges begin to look dry and lots of bubbles are appearing, flip them over. Don’t be too keen at this stage – they need to look really bubbly.
7. Leave for another minute or two
until the other side has browned well and serve immediately.
These are delicious served with berries and maple syrup.