These yummy cupcakes contain no refined sugar (except the teeny bit in the chocolate) and are full of ingredients that actually do you good. I measured them out into my fitness pal and they are about 180 cals in small cupcake cases.
The base for these was this recipe http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2015/06/26/double-chocolate-zucchini-bread/ which us an excellent recipe well worth making but I made a few tweaks to lighten them up.
They are fudgey and moist but don’t have the extreme sweetness of normal cupcakes.
35g wholemeal flour
40g plain flour
25g cocoa powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
50g – 85% cocoa (or higher) chocolate chopped into chunks
1 large egg
45g greek yogurt
150g courgette grated finely
30ml rapeseed oil
25ml maple syrup
1/2 tsp instant coffee made with 2 tablespoon of water
1) First, grate the courgette and spread a kitchen towel on a plate. Sprwad out the courgette on the towel and place another towel on top. Press down and leave until needed to remove some of the moisture.
2) Next, sift dry ingredients into a bowl and whisk together.
3) Then, in a small bowl or jug, whisk the wet ingredients (not the courgette) together well.
4) After that, pour the wet ingreduents gradually into the dry and mix.
5) Finally, fold in the courgette with a spoon.
6) Spoon into small cupcake cases and bake 177C for 15mins ir until a knife comes out clean.
For the icing:
125g Philadelphia lightest
10g cocoa powder
10ml maple syrup
5ml sweet freedom syrup
With a hand or stand mixer whip together (I use a paddle attachment) the Philadelphia and cocoa adding the maple and syrup to taste. If it is not thick enough add a little more cocoa. Then spread or pipe onto the cupcakes.